It doesn’t matter if you have just purchased your first New England home or if you have just upgraded to the dream home in Massachusetts that you have always wanted, there’s a lot you need to do as you settle into your new house. You will want to make sure that you gather all the information that you can about the property you have just purchased, and that you make a list of priority items to address as quickly as possible.
Our step-by-step guide will help you get started:
Make Your New Home Safe and Secure
The safety of your new home should be a top priority, and these are the tasks that you need to complete almost immediately after moving in:
- Change the locks and security codes throughout the home. You will want to change the front door locks as well as any other exterior locks to the home. The garage door code also should be changed.
- Verify that all carbon monoxide detectors and smoke detectors are in good working condition. Replace all of the batteries in these important alarms. Also, make sure that all fire extinguishers are in good working condition.
- Install security features in the home, such as a video doorbell or security camera system.
- Change out the filters in your HVAC system, regardless of the season. Note that both the furnace and the air conditioner have air filters that need to be replaced regularly.
- Clean out the vents within the HVAC system. Your dryer vent can become a fire hazard if not cleaned regularly, and your bathroom vent can grow mold if not addressed often enough.
- Turn down the water heater to 120 degrees. This will prevent burns, save on energy and reduce costs all without compromising your comfort.
- Schedule an HVAC inspection with a qualified heating and cooling company. This will give you an idea as to whether or not your HVAC appliances are in good working condition.
Increase the Comfort and Style of Your New Home
After addressing the safety of the home, homeowners should take some time to make their new house feel like their own space to live, work and play. Here are a few things you can do to increase the comfort and style of your home all while making it a more efficient place to live:
- Install high-efficiency lighting. High-efficiency lighting will help make your home appear brighter, which can make it seem like a bigger, more comfortable place to be. In addition, high-efficiency lighting will help save you money on your electrical bills.
- Consider adding insulation or air sealing your new home. HomeWorks Energy can provide you with additional insulation or air sealing that can help keep your new home cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter.
- Invest in home automation. Home automation is making our lives easier every step of the way. For example, the REAX Smart Home Solution is compatible with Alexa, the popular AI hub from Amazon.
- Weatherstrip and caulk the exterior doors and windows of the house. In addition to adding insulation, HomeWorks Energy also can help you weatherstrip the exterior doors and windows of your home to prevent energy from escaping the home.
- Install a smart thermostat that learns your behaviors and adjusts the temperature of your home accordingly. A smart thermostat can reduce your energy usage significantly all while allowing you boost your cost savings each month.
Protect Your Home and Enjoy Peace of Mind
Updating the furniture and refreshing the paint in your home will help you feel like the space is really yours, but after you have put your stylish touches on your property it is time to really get to know your new home. The following tasks will help you protect your house and the people who live in it, which will ultimately allow you to enjoy peace of mind:
- Locate the water and gas shut off valves in your new home. In the event of an emergency, you will want to be able to access these valves as quickly as possible.
- Locate the breaker box and label it accordingly. This will help you quickly find the solution in the event of a power outage or a blown fuse.
- Invest in a premier maintenance plan for your HVAC system. HomeWorks Energy offers a maintenance plan that provides you with the inspections that you need as well as repairs that can help you extend the lifespan of your heating and cooling equipment.
It may take several weeks or even a few months to fully prepare your new house, but the effort will be well worth it in the end. Once you have fully settled into your new home, you can completely enjoy the space and begin making memories that will last a lifetime.
For more information on how you can make your new home more comfortable and efficient, contact HomeWorks Energy today to schedule your home energy assessment.