People Making a Difference (PMD) is a nonprofit organization that involves and engages community members through hands-on and virtual volunteer work that meets the needs of local individuals, produces meaningful results that impact the community, and sheds light on the broader issues that affect the area.
As its name suggests, this charity brings people together to make a difference, and as of December 2020, more than 9,900 volunteers had given 82,500+ hours helping 146 charitable groups in the Greater Boston area by participating in 1,345+ projects organized and run by PMD.
Examples of PMD Projects:
· Preparing and serving tasty, nutritious meals for the formerly homeless elders permanently housed by Hearth
· Preparing volunteers who officiate for several middle and high school science competitions that PMD helps organize in New England and beyond
· Collating and checking print-Braille children’s books for the National Braille Press
· Helping families celebrate nature and unity through free face painting and crafts at Fresh Pond Reservation and Boston public housing developments
· Transplanting and harvesting bamboo for red pandas and other animals at the Franklin Park Zoo
· Painting the iconic signs for a community garden and the Walk for Hunger route
· Sealing sides of new compost bins at Somerville’s Community Growing Center
PMD also recruits and prepares volunteers who officiate for virtual (in-person before the pandemic) science bowl competitions taking place this winter and autumn such as the Northeast Regional Middle School Science Bowl and High School Invitational, that are both a part of the National Science Bowl.
The U.S. Department of Energy developed the National Science Bowl (NSB) in 1991 to make it fun for students to study and excel in science and math and pursue careers in related fields. Since 1991, approximately 315,000 students have participated in the National Science Bowl!
Founded by the same person as the NSB in 1999, the National Ocean Sciences Bowl (NOSB) addresses a gap in environmental and earth sciences in public education by introducing high school students to and engaging them in ocean science, preparing them for ocean science-related and other STEM careers, and helping them become knowledgeable citizens and environmental stewards.
PMD runs ocean sciences bowl competitions like the Blue Lobster Bowl (MA) and Quahog Bowl (CT & RI) for high school students in New England and across the nation. For more information about volunteering for these March events, click here.
HomeWorks Energy is a proud partner of People Making a Difference and will be donating $25 to the organization for every no-cost virtual Home Energy Assessment performed. Schedule online here or call (781) 528-0822 and mention People Making a Difference.
A no-cost Home Energy Assessment shows you how your home consumes and loses energy and you get access to generous Mass Save® rebates such as 75%+ off insulation, 100% off air sealing, and no-cost items such as LED light bulbs and programmable thermostats. You receive a custom energy report of your home and People Making a Difference gets $25 to help support their community efforts.
Join us and let’s make a difference together!